The last few years have witnessed the rise of eCommerce platform with tons of features and looks that suit each business’s requirements of ecommerce websites. Ecommerce platform makes it possible for businesses to reach customers in online channels, hence helping increase the market size of the businesses.
While traditional eCommerce software is costly, not scalable, difficult to work with, and time-consuming considering customization and integration with other systems, the eCommerce platform is a better solution for creating relevant, engaging, and personalized online experiences.
One of the most preferable ecommerce platforms for building a ecommerce website is Magento with its outstanding magento 2 ecommerce theme that will be introduced in this post.
Table of Contents
The growth of eCommerce platform
Amidst the pandemic situation, the economy has been affected severely with the close of hundreds of stores and bankruptcy of many companies and businesses.
The economy’s resilience to shocks has been challenged by financial instabilities which elevated indebtedness.
With social distancing and lockdown being a must in COVID times, businesses and companies must adjust themselves as a result. COVID-19 has given eCommerce a push with the emergence of eCommerce platforms as a great solution for business leaders to cope with hard times.
eCommerce has entered its rapid phase of development with a high growth rate of 32 percent, as reported in Vecom’s Ecommerce Index Report 2020. COVID-19 has forced businesses to come up with innovative solutions to reach customers and optimize their existing online channels by developing eCommerce platforms.
What is eCommerce?
eCommerce refers to transactions made electronically with the help of the Internet. Normally, eCommerce can be understood as the selling and buying of physical products online, but in a broader term, it can be any transaction that is facilitated by the Internet.
eCommerce also involves e-businesses that operate mainly through online channels for their revenue. The development of eCommerce platform has made it easier for businesses to make products discoverable and purchasable thanks to online retailers and marketplaces.
Advantages of eCommerce
The most prominent feature of Ecommerce platform is its ability to help businesses cope with difficult times like this when it prevents businesses from being affected by lockdown and social distancing.
- With 24/7 availability, eCommerce platform allows businesses to provide services and products to their customers at any time. Compared to a physical store that has opening hours and a specific geographical location, Ecommerce has overcome both of these limitations by offering a 24/7 availability regardless of customers’ time and location.
- Ecommerce platform also helps businesses save up by costing lower operating costs. With the help of technology software, there is no need to hire a whole team to take care of the business or to look for a physical location for store set-up, and the business can focus on bringing the customers best products and customer experiences.
- Ecommerce platform offers a high chance of extending the business by helping the business reach not only domestic customers but also international customers. With the help of many delivery services, all you need to do is to have an eCommerce website to present your services and products.
- Ecommerce platform helps enhance more personalized customer experience, especially if your eCommerce business has a log-in feature on your eCommerce site. With purchase history features, it is much easier for businesses to design better-personalized customer experiences.
Ecommerce platform: Which platform is best for your eCommerce website?
Ecommerce platform is an important tool that enables businesses to reach customers and earn more profits. Listed below are the TOP 5 eCommerce platforms for businesses to develop their eCommerce websites.
On the top of the list, here comes Magento ecommerce platform. Magento stands out as an open-source CMS that provides businesses the ability to extend whenever needed.
Advantages of Magento:
- Open-source with cost-effective features: With its open-source characteristic, it allows developers to modify and adjust features following the company’s requirements. Companies can also improve the site at any time for their business growth. Magento ecommerce platform is available in two versions, one of which is a totally free charge for small businesses to give it a try.
- Built-in functions: Magento ecommerce platform provides many backend administration and tons of useful frontend features that allow you to create the best customer experiences possible. Regarding multicurrency, languages, taxes, discounts, coupons, and types of reports, Magento is on top of the list.
- Scalability: When your business extends, you can change into the Enterprise version instead of using the Community one with absolutely no problem with migration. All of your data will be stored in just one backend office, hence helping you save a lot of time and effort when your business grows.
However, there are still some minor disadvantages to ecommerce platform as follow:
- Hosting: The hosting, however, is not included in Magento. Therefore, you have to pay for hosting separately. But it also means that you have to chance to find the best hosting that suits your own business’s purpose and requirements.
- Customization: It seems easy for most of the online merchants to set up an online store on Magento, however, it’s a different thing when it comes to sophisticated customization. It would be challenging for people with poor technical knowledge to make deep customization. But, you can always have qualified developers to handle these things for you.
Just like Magento, Shopify is also a ecommerce platform that allows you to set up and run an online store. With Shopify, you don’t have to worry about website maintenance or server updates.
There are a few advantages along with the disadvantages of Shopify as listed below:
- Easy use: For less tech-savvy people, Shopify is one of the great ecommerce platforms. It not only helps you with managing your store’s technological needs but also provides you with a simple and clear interface for navigation.
- A great range of payment processors: With over 100 payment processors integrated into Shopify, you can operate your store accepting different currencies.
- Various themes and designs: Shopify provides you with many themes and designs classified into specific categories. This would help you with your store’s look and design.
- Theme customization: although Shopify ecommerce platform offers you with a lot of theme choices, if you want to make your store have your personalized theme that fits your brand’s image, you will need the help of a professional developer to do the coding for you.
- Hosting email: A huge inconvenience of Shopify is that it doén’t provide you with a hosting email. You can’t have your personalized hosting email.
- Cost: If you want to have a professional online store on this ecommerce platform, you will have to invest an amount of money that can go up to 299$. You will probably have to pay more if you also subscribe to some more applications or third-party gateway.
Oracle Commerce (OCC):
This is one of the leading eCommerce platforms which is being developed gradually with frequent updates. Here are some advantages and disadvantages of this eCommerce site.
- User-friendly: You don’t need to have a strong technical background to use this eCommerce platform. With limitations of backend programming and developing requirements, support staffs are not necessary for operating your online business.
- Accessibility: The site is accessible through multiple channels whether it is a laptop, desktop, or smartphone.
- Customer service: OCC provides you with the help of its customer service team that is available 24/7.
- Pricing models: Its price for site maintenance is pretty harsh for medium-sized companies and smaller.
- Security: Its shared cloud data poses a great risk to users’ virtual machine being accessed by other users.
- Performance rate: As a cloud platform, OCC may run slow which is a result of the cloud provider when sharing the space for multiple users at the same time.
Another eCommerce platform to consider on this list is WooCommerce with its great features and flexibility. Down below are its advantages and disadvantages.
- Free and open-source: Although some of its extensions will require you to pay an amount of monthly fee, most of the site’s features are free for you to set up a basic online store. With it being an open-source, designer and programmer can alter its code easily.
- Flexibility: WooCommerce is updated regularly to keep up with cybersecurity, however its lack of an SSL certificate is worth your consideration.
- Support community: This platform has a large community of users which makes it easier for you to find any necessary documents.
- Slow performance: WooCommerce will have you install many extensions and plugins that can affect your site’s performance.
- Extension cost: Downloading and installing some extensions may require you to pay a monthly or subscription fee.
Last but not least, BigCommerce is on the list for its advantages but also some disadvantages as listed below.
- User-friendly: This ecommerce platform is also a user-friendly website that doesn’t require you to have much knowledge of programming or coding.
- A great deal of tools: BigCommerce comes with many apps that help you with marketing and all sorts of things.
- Lack of themes: You have many choices when it comes to picking themes on BigCommerce as it doesn’t have many themes for you to customize your own store’s look.
- Payment gateway: BigCommerce also lacks decent payment gateways for stores operating outside the U.S.
- SEO limitation: Compared to other eCommerce platforms, BigCommerce is far behind considering SEO optimization.
Magento – The best eCommerce platform
Established in 2017, Magento soon became a leading platform when it comes to deciding the best eCommerce platform for online business set up.
Under Adobe ownership, more development has already happened and some promising features are also in the works. Its recently updated version Magento 2 eCommerce with improvements of cart and checkout, configurable products, email, and indexing, .. has brought its users a lot more advantages when using. Magento 2 theme is also worth considering for those who want to have their stores customized to fit with their brands’ image. For those reasons, Magento is currently the fastest growing eCommerce platform.
Magento has gained its popularity among businesses around the world is the preferred choice for an online store.
As a certified Magento developer, Magenest has a strong belief in the platform for its vibrant community and upcoming promising features.
Magenest – One-stop solution
Magenest is an Adobe Bronze Solution Partner and Magento Business.
Magento Commerce is the best eCommerce platform in the world whether you are running a fast-scaling small business or an established international company with this enterprise-ready solution.
Being certified industry experts and also technology architects, our team can deliver optimal digital solutions to enterprises. With customer-centricity in mind, we always strive to deliver success to our customers. This commitment has allowed us to rapidly evolve from a system integrator into an end-to-end digital solution provider, as well as has given us the opportunity to work with global firms and digital agencies around the world.
HAVE A PROJECT? SEND US YOUR SCOPE OF WORKContact us