Users who search are more likely to purchase than those browsing. As a result, managing your search engine can be crucial for this reason only. Specifically in this tutorial, we will go into details on how to use the Search Terms and Search Synonyms in Magento 2 to improve your store search engine.
What are Search Terms?
First of all, at your back-end, Search Terms can be located at Marketing => Search Terms on the Sidebar. Specifically, it provides the store owner with the information of what Users have been searching for in your store. Based on that, you can in many ways improve your stores and sales dramatically.
Utilize Search Terms in Magento 2
Step 1: Check your Search Terms for information.
Step 2: Add a new Search Term.
Step 3: Add a New Synonym Group.
Step 1: Check your Search Terms for information
- With your admin back-end account, navigate to Marketing => Search Terms.
- Check your most searched terms by clicking twice on the Uses column.
- Check terms that give no results by clicking once on the Results column.
Step 2: Add a new Search Term
Manually adding a Search Terms:
- Click Add New Search Term.
- Fill in the Search Query box with word or phrase that you want to become a Search Term.
- Select a Store View that you want this Search Term available in the Store box.
- In the Redirect URL field, you can choose where the user will be redirected to when they use this search term by entering the full URL of that page. Either it can be a page in your store or another website.
- Display in Suggested Terms will decide whether this term be available for use as a suggestion whenever a search returns no results.
- Click Save Search when done.
Fixing no Results Search Query:
In addition, if users search for a product that you have but return no results you can do as the following:
- On Search Terms page.
- Click Edit at the Query you want to change.
- In the Redirect URL field, enter the desired URL for this Search Term
- Click Save Search.
Step 3: Add a New Synonym Group
Based on the insight you have gathered you can add a Synonym Group to return relevant results on top of what users are searching for. Alternatively, you can also use this to fix Search Queries that gives no result or misspelling in a single action.
- Navigate to Marketing -> Search Synonyms
- Tap New Synonym Group.
- In the Synonyms field, fill in words and phrases and separate them with a “,” example: shoes, footwear.
In conclusion, if those above still can’t fix your problem or fill all your need yet, check out our Sphinx Search Extension for Magento 2 for more Advanced optimization!