Magento 2 is flooding everywhere as people are talking about it, bloggers keep mentioning it. And you are having dilemma whether moving to Magento 2 or staying with Magento 1, then keep reading this post for more information.
Is Magento 2 necessary for your business?
First of all, you should define who you are, what your business size is and how your current Magento store performs. As it was mentioned in previous blog post regarding to Magento future move that Magento shall focus on medium to large customers with the annually gross merchandise from $20 million to $100 million. Of course, Magento will have its way to drive its services to target customers such as charging higher price which only medium to large enterprises can afford as the entrance barrier. Thus, it is very important for you to identify your place and business needs. For example, if your store is small, your business requirements are basic, and your current Magento version satisfies you, going to Magento 2 may not be the best choice because of financial and technical issues. Meanwhile, if you are using one of the older version which may not meet your requirements and you have some expenses to splurge on a more advanced platform, it’s safe to say that upgrading to Magento 2 is a smart decision. For those who choose to stay with the old platform, Magento will continue supporting it for several years more thus don’t be frustrated.
Advantages of Magento 2
The advantages of Magento 2 was discussed in previous post, those will improve your business performance.
- Better performance: The improved performance of Magento 2 is shown in faster speed and larger scalability. Magento 2 provide 50% faster loading time in catalog as well as check out pages; this element definitely improves customer shopping experience. As for scalability,it is facilitated to handle your busiest day with ability to support more than 2 million page view and approximately 250,000 orders per hour.
- Flexibility: With the support of modern technologies, Magento 2 is more flexible with ability to be compatible with different popular platforms.
- Better support: Well, as a new born baby, Magento 2 definitely receives a lot more attention and better support from Magento.
- Quality extensions: The changes in Magento 2 allow developers to write better quality codes. Also, marketplace shall be reorganized and monitored by Magento itself. Hence, extension quality standard will be tightened to ensure that only qualified coded ones will be available on the marketplace. As a merchant, you benefit a lot from that as you don’t need to worry about distrustful module any more.
Now we are done with advantages and logically thinking about what could be the disadvantages. Personally, I don’t think that these listed below are disadvantages of Magento 2 but they are what you should totally consider when planning to upgrade to the new version.
- Large budget: As it was mentioned above, Magento 2 will be expensive to set up and operate with so that you should plan your budget.
- Technical issues: Merchants will encounter several technical difficulties with Magento 2. In order to improve performance and flexibility, Magento 2 is equipped with a number of advanced technologies which make it more complex. Therefore, it requires more expertise to set up this platform. Moreover, the hosting for Magento demands a professional admin for administration. With all these difficulties, merchants must invest more money and effort on it.
- New extensions required: You must prepare to acquire new extensions because your current ones cannot be transferred to Magento 2. This process can be quite a hassle as you constantly search for trustworthy providers and qualified modules. Plus, every acquisition needs money and so does your extension purchase.
When to upgrade?
After you have considered all pros and cons of moving on to Magento 2 and decided that your store will be powered by Magento 2, the next thing coming in your mind is that when the best time to upgrade is. According to official statistics from Magento, no websites have adopted Magento just yet, excepting for some sites running with the beta version. That’s why you are not in a rush. Also, there aren’t many extensions available for Magento 2 on the marketplace and the rewind Magento Connect isn’t here yet. So if you are not in urge to upgrade right now, when is the right time? It’s no sooner than 2nd quarter of 2016 following the launch of reorganized marketplace.
Hopefully, this article helps you in your decision making process and you will have the best choice for your business.